Relive the Utah Jazz win over the Raptors with all the excitement of the comeback victory over the Toronto Raptors. Hear the biggest plays, Derrick Favors and Quin Snyder
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
• Really strong win for the Jazz. This was a hard game. The Raptors were very physical throughout the game and controlled the game from midway thru the 2nd quarter and into the beginning of the 4th quarter and the Jazz got tougher throughout the night to win it. This is the second straight late game win against a really good team. Remember the Jazz lost 18 games last year by 5 or less. Great growth
• First time the Jazz have won when trailing going into the 4th quarter at home since the 2013-14 season.
• Derrick Favors defensive plays when switching on Kyle Lowry changed the game. We talked about this last year but Favors is the first full sized big to be able to switch onto point guards. Draymond Green and Paul Millsap are able to do this for the Warriors and the Hawks but they are undersized. Favors is doing this a 6’10 265 and then he can make plays on the offensive end of the floor.
• Gordon Hayward had another bad third quarter and it felt like it this was going to add onto his offensive struggles but instead he nailed two huge three pointers in the 4th quarter. He finished the 4th quarter with 9 points on 3 of 5 shooting, add on an assist and a block and that is very strong outing. Very mentally strong.
• Gordon defense on DeRozan tonight was outstanding. Gordon has had great defensive games all season. He has made a big effort defensively this year and maybe made as big a defensive jump this year as he made an offensive jump last year.
• Jazz closed the final 4:25 with the Triple Wing it finished a +3 in that span. Great quote by Quin Snyder after the game about how with this line-up he can find a player “in a good spot” read with a good match-up.
• Jazz were +16 with Derrick Favors on the floor. He is having a tremendous year.
• Raul Neto played well in the 1st quarter. His defense had an impact on Lowry who never got a rhythm.
• Incredible out of bounds play by Quin Snyder for a Trey Burke three. Those matter in a one possession game.
• Alec Burks has been amazing late in game this year. Burks was 11 of 17 in the final 5 minutes of a close game this year and tonight he was 1 for 2.
• 27.4 seconds left – Jazz by 2 and inbounding. The ball came into Rodney and he got back to Ingles who inbounded. Favors got on the inside of DeMarre Carroll and Ingles found him sliding to the basket for a slam dunk. Gutsy play but put the Jazz up by 4 and gave them the game.
• Jazz trailed by 6 with 7 minutes left. Big time fight to come back.
• Jazz some more minutes from a 3rd big. Gobert is playing too many minutes and the 4th wing position is open for the taking right now.
• Strong win for the Jazz. Dallas is playing great, this will be a really interesting game and an important one since the Jazz and Mavericks only play 3 times this season.
Utah Jazz radio team post game show on the internet
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives you the NBA 5 and then digs deep on the Jazz
Utah Jazz radio voice David Locke stops by with Scotty and Hans as well as Jake and Tony on 1280 the Zone and 97.5 Home of the Jazz
David Locke and Ian Furness break down the week that was and the week that is coming in the Pac-12
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke breaks down the league 10 games in and then digs deep on Derrick Favors.
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke check lineups around the NBA and then digs deep with a rewatch of the Jazz-Hawks fourth quarter.
Jazz Game Rewind is your best chance to catch what happened in the Jazz game, relive the big moments and hear how it sounded on the radio broadcast. Voiced tonight by Tyson Ewing.
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
• Super win for the Jazz in Atlanta. That is not one you project to get when the season starts. Everything was different with Rudy and Rodney back on the floor. Lots of guys made big plays. A year ago Jazz were in the same situation at the same point of the season and collapsed. Tonight, they made just enough plays to win the game.
• Alec Burks is making terrific progress. He made numerous plays this whole trip that he didn’t make two weeks ago. Tonight, he had a touch pass to Trey for a three. Late in the game he brought the ball up and got trapped on a few plays and calmly reacted correctly by making the pass to Favors after brining the defenders with him. He was in control and read the situation correctly. One more than one of his drives he decided prior to catching the ball and was able to get to the rim with more alacrity and increases his finishing rate.
• Derrick Favors from the free throw for the biggest shot of the night. He also dominated Millsap in the post. On defense he got switched a ton of times and was able to control the situation. He is having a monster season. The free throw line jumper is vital for the teams success and he is taking it with confidence and making it with regularity. At some point teams will close and then he swings through and drives to the basket. In addition, his passing on the short role has been terrific. Favors skill development over the past two years is remarkable.
• The coaches made some nice adjustments at halftime. The Jazz were getting trapped on every pick and roll and then the Hawks would then jump the next pass forcing the only pass to be over the top of the defense which was leading to turnovers. 14 in the first half . In the second half they slipped the pick man so it made it harder for the Hawks to trap and the Jazz only had 6 turnovers in the entire half.
• Rudy Gobert makes a world of difference. He alters how every thing happens on the floor and he is getting better as a roll man when teams leave him. He made some plays around the basket tonight. First double double of the year for Rudy.
• Hawks ran a nice play to get Horford the corner 3 and then they got a great look to win it but Millsap just missed. The back pick came on Derrick and Rudy did the right thing to switch on millsap but somehow he got spun around and Millsap was wide open. Paul just missed and the Jazz win.
• Trey Burkes decision making was terrific in the first half of the game. He is having a great start to the season.
• Jazz went Triple Wing for the final 9 minutes of the game and it allowed them to switch everything defensively. Jazz switched 1-4 and that took away a lot of what the Hawks wanted to accomplish. The Jazz played the triple wing a combined 14 mimutes tonight. One interesting moment was when it forced Coach Bud to take Korver of the floor because he couldn’t hide him defensively with Hood, Burks and Hayward on the floor. Hood really took it to Korver.
• Korver only got free for 1 really good look three. Korver only got 3 attempts from 3.
• Jeff Teague not playing changed what the Hawks offense was able to do.
• Rodney Hood took 9 threes. I can’t emphasize how important this is for the Jazz. High volume three point shooters are still one of the most underrated aspects of the game. JJ Reddick, Wesley Mathews, etc are incredibly important to an offense.
• Gordon is off and the first half was a big a struggle for him as I have seen in a long time but going through my Hawks notes from last year both games against the Hawks last year were struggles as well. The Hawks are not going to let Gordon be a play maker.
• 5 minutes left Jazz were up 3. Jazz shot 5 for 9 with 1 turnover. Really solid late game play.
• Nice win. Coming out of this 10 game stretch 5-5 is solid. Nothing we have seen yet should concern Jazz fans about this team. They are continuing the process and are improving