EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
- What a game. Yes, tons of turnovers and missed shots but this might have been the two best defensive teams going head to head. The Bucks are the #2 defense in the NBA for the season and no one has been better than the Jazz defensively for a while. Couple that with neither team having an individual player who is going to dominate a possession and this is the game you get. I kinda loved it.
* The Bucks are the #1 team in the NBA at forcing turnovers. Not that surprising that the Jazz committed 23 of them tonight. What is stunning is the Jazz forced 23 of them tonight.
- It is hard to play defense when you are not scoring and these two teams amped their defense up even higher every time they didn’t score. It was sort of awesome.
- Derrick Favors couldn’t have made more big plays late in the game. Huge blocks defensively. An offensive rebound put back in traffic for the biggest basket of the game. The rebound on the following possession. Wow he was BIG !!! 16 points, 12 rebounds, 3 steals and 3 blocked shots.
- This was a mentally hard win on a back end of a back to back. Quin talks a lot about moments where the team wouldn’t have been able to do that before. This is one of those nights. The Jazz couldn’t have won this game as many as two weeks ago.
- The 5 man defensive communication with the Jazz is incredible. The Jazz are really tight on the rotations. They are running some very complicated switching systems and they are doing them perfectly.
- I have no numbers on this but Derrick Favors got switched on a small numerous times and they did not beat him very often if ever.
- Trey Burke has been very good since the all-star break. One of the reasons Trey has been so bad defensively is teams were putting Trey in the pick and roll with Enes Kanter and it was a disaster. His defense has been much better when he is put in a pick and roll with Favors, Gobert or Booker. We might need to re-evaluate what Trey can do defensively. Time will tell I it is because of something Trey has developed.
- When Trey is good the Jazz win. Tonight he was very good offensively – 23 points when no one else could find a window to score. He had 6 assists and just 1 turnover.
- Rodney Hood closed the game
- Elijah Millsap had the best 0 for 6 game – 7 rebounds and 3 steals. Millsap ability to cover the main pick and roll ball handler has helped alleviate the burden on Trey Burke defensively.
- 6 offensive rebounds for Trevor Booker. The Jazz are the #1 offensive rebounding team in the NBA and they are best offensive rebounding when Trevor Booker is on the floor.
- Gordon Hayward had a tough shooting night but there was nothing soft about his play. He gamed it hard at the end.
- Jazz have won 6 of 8 and 16 of the last 31.
- I really like this win. Maybe like this win more than San Antonio or Portland. This is not a better team but it is a tougher team and nothing was going right for the Jazz offensively and they won the game defensively. That is a huge statement of who this team is becoming. The pride they are playing with is impressive. Wins when things are going wrong are the sign of a good team. Jazz showed that tonight.