EMPTYNG THE NOGGIN
Summary: Jazz waited till the 4th quarter to close the door on the Knicks but when they did Gobzilla took over New York
• Gobzilla left a path of destruction and havoc throughout the New York Knicks. Rudy had a career high 35 points, he hit on 13 of 14 shots. He grabbed 13 rebounds and a career high 11 offensive rebounds. He added 4 block shots. Only Karl Anthony Towns and Anthony Davis have had stat lines similar this season. He was far and away the best player on the floor.
• Jazz trailed by 8 in the first, at 4 at the half and then by 3 heading into the 4th. Jazz win their 11th game when trailing going into the 4th quarter this season.
• Gordon Hayward went the Paul George route tonight. Similar to Paul George in Indiana Hayward had a miserable start to the game missing 10 of his 12 shots. But in the 4th quarter he went 4 for 5 and scored 13 points.
• Rual Neto played the back up point guard tonight instead of Dante Exum. Exum didn’t play the point guard well on the road trip. Too many possessions he just killed the offense. Teams are going under every pick with Dante and even when he runs off re-pick they are still going under. This is stalling the offense and leaving the ball in his hands for too long each possession.
• Quin went to Neto instead and was rewarded. Neto hit a corner 3 and a top of the key three when they went under the pick he nailed a three from the top. Neto is small and it hurts him on the defensive end, but is a better shooter and runs the team with more efficiency right now than Dante.
• The Knicks caused the Jazz problems early with Porzingis popping out and the middle opening up for drives as well as Porzingis from 3. The Jazz have struggled defensively all year with the stretch 5 and the same was true early tonight when the Knicks scored 34 points in the 1st quarter.
• The Jazz simply couldn’t make a shot for a long time in this game starting 4 of 24 from three.
• The Knicks are 30th in the NBA in defensive rebounding and the Jazz had 18 offensive rebounds in 46 chances. 39% is an outrageously high number.
• Boris Diaw started at power forward instead of Joe Johnson but was -12 in this 14 minutes
• Alec Burks went 0 for 4 and was somehow +15. That is the complete opposite of how Alec’s career has gone.
• Jazz got a much needed win. If they win in LA Saturday they have a chance for the 4th seed, if they don’t it will be very unlikely.