EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
- The story of the season is learning experience and guys doing things they have never done before. Only Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward have ever played significant roles on teams that were playing 4 games in 5 nights. Last year, we never played 4 games in 5 nights. So even Hayward and Favors have never carried this big a burden in a 4 games of 5 nights.
- This team was searching all night. They couldn’t find a rhythm or a momentum in the game. At some point in one these nights you have to get a momentum as a group to find a way to fight through the fatigue.
- Enes Kanter,Alec Burks and Trey Burke both had poor games. From a shooting standpoint as they do this a few more times they will figure out how to turn a 2 for 9 into a 3 for 7. That becomes a really big difference. You can feel you legs are dead and you have no explosion. So you end up settling for the first open jumper you get but because your legs are dead you end up front riming all of those shots.
- Al Jefferson caught the ball with a foot in the paint on every touch early and Favors was dead from the start. Jefferson got him on pump fakes, weezies and everything that big Al does
- Rudy Gobert was the highlight of the night. He had his first double double of his career. In the 2nd quarter he was dominant. He impacted shots, grabbed rebound and even began to make some plays on the offensive end. A GM once told me when evaluating players look for dominant plays then they can play in the league. Then look for dominant sequences, then they can impact the game. Then look for dominant quarters, then they can start to determine who wins game. Then look for dominant games, weeks and months and then you have a player you can use as a core piece of your franchise. Rudy is dominating sequences and getting close to quarters. He will dominate games and weeks. He is going to be a core piece of a great defensive team.
- Alec Burks played his 23rd game of 30 or more minutes tonight – he had only played 36 games of 30 minutes in his career prior to this season.
- Joe Ingles got it going and had 13
- Jazz battled back to within 10 but never were able to get past that.
- New experience and the Jazz didn’t deal with it very well. Let’s see if they deal with the next 4 games in 5 nights better than this one.