EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
• Incredible game. Amazing effort. So impressed by the Jazz game plan and how they were able to make the Warriors work and play the Jazz game. I also left incredibly impressed by the Warriors will to win. The effort and reaction by the Warriors late in this game is the signature of this team that is going to go down in history as the greatest ever if they win the championship
• On the final play of regulation with the game tied the Jazz were trying to get Steph Curry matched on Gordon Hayward. They brought Mack up to set the pick trying to get the Warriors to switch the pick. However, the Warriors had incredible communication on the play and when Mack started to the ball Draymond Green ran to defend the play leaving Lyles so that when the switch didn’t happen Mack ended up on Draymond Green. Green is so great defensively that it is not a mismatch. It is incredible that Green and Curry have the communication to make that play. The other aspect is you have to go late enough to make sure the Warriors don’t get another possession but when the Warriors blow the concept up there is no time to recover.
• On the final play for the Warriors Klay Thompson misses the three and the rebound bounds strangely on the sideline. Booker had the block out assignment and didn’t get contact with Livingston. Hayward might have been able to make a bigger play on the ball, but he was concerned about getting back to Barnes. Joe Ingles had run out on the shooter, Thompson, and proceeded to run to the front court and when the Warriors got the rebound he was no longer in the screen. So when the ball went back out Rodney Hood was stuck in between guarding both Steph Curry on the far side and Klay Thompson and he was in the middle guarding neither. Lots of things going on here but it is these winning plays where lots of things could have been a little different and won the game.
• Derrick Favors tweeked his knee early in the game and then when he got clobbered by Andrew Bogut going to the basket he re-injured the knee and was not able to return. The Jazz played the entire last part of the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th and overtime without Derrick. I thought the foul by Bogut was the definition of flagrant.
• Jazz missed 13 of 29 from the free throw line. The missed free throws are killer. Mack had 2 to win the game hit 1. Gordon missed two. Gobert got hack a gobert and missed both.
• I would love access to the NBA officials records. I am not sure if Kane Fitgerald is really bad or if I just have it in my head that he is not very good and therefore every time he makes a call that is wrong it reconfirms my belief and so I am further the stereotype in my head. The offensive foul on Gordon was bad. Draymond Green kept a ball alive for a Warriors possession with 2 feet standing out of bounds. These calls aren’t hard and he missed them. Maybe I am wrong, maybe he is a perfectly good official.
• Jazz defense was great tonight. They made Steph work all night. They were terrific executing the plan. The Warriors were out of their element for most of the night and the Jazz had them on the unnerved. The Warriors were playing a half court game. The Jazz were getting the defense set every possession. The Warriors were into their 3rd and 4th options on plays exactly as the Jazz wanted.
• The Jazz played crazy hard tonight. This team they are playing has a real chance to be the greatest ever. This was the second time they gave them a fight for their lives in this building.
• Gobert gives Curry trouble. He is bothered by his length both on switches and around the basket
• Draymond Green’s effort is incredible
• Re-watching the final 5 minutes of regulation on offense
Hayward hits a nice fadeaway over Green with 4:51 left
Steph fouls Gobert on an early pick and Gobert hits one of two free throws
Hayward gets the 1 on 1 on Curry and misses a fadeaway jumper
Jazz go through more regular set and Mack misses a tough runner on the left baseline
Hood brings it up with horns set. Slow to get into play nothing develops prayer 40 foot three by Hood
Hack a Gobert and he misses both
Hood drives the lane gets fouled, the Warriors broadcast agreed, no call turnover as ball goes out of bounds
Hayward hits a huge three on the Hayward/Hood pick the Warriors got caught up going under
Hayward turns it over trying to get it from Mack
Hayward goes 1 on 1 on Thompson, Curry cuts off the path, Hayward bouces to Mack who penetrates and misses floater in the lane
Mack misses one of the two free throws that would have secured the game.
Then the final play we talked about already
That sequence is not as bad as it felt when it happened. 12 possessions. 5 were success buckets or to the line, one bad call, a busted play, a turnover, a missed shot
• The Warriors are on a mission to get the record. The Jazz made them uncomfortable all night. Yet, on a back end of a back to back they battle and made every play they had to make. The Jazz were really really good but they just made a few mistakes and those mistakes are enough to keep the Warriors breathing and if they have breathe they find a way to win.
• Super night at the arena. What an atmosphere and what an effort.