Locke and Boone discuss Jazz-Wizards
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives you the NBA 5 and then digs deep on the Utah Jazz.
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives you the NBA 5, touches on the Miller announcement and talks about the stunning Utah Jazz.
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
- Unreal. Part of me thinks this should stop after unreal and not post another work. Unreal. This team is just continuing to do things that we could never imagine. Tonight it was absurd hot shooting. The Jazz set a franchise record for 3’s in a quarter and a half and tied the franchise record with 15 in a game.
- Maybe the most impressive part of the game was the Jazz hit 15 threes and never broke out of how they play the game. They never screwed with the game, never dropped their guard and let Charlotte get back in the game. That takes a level of mental toughness and respect for the game that very few teams are able to achieve.
- The Jazz defense never blinked. Hornets had no chance of establishing the inside game of Al Jefferson and anything else they hoped to get started never materialized. They shot 29.5%, only hit 5 of 19 from 3 and scored the 2nd fewest points of any team in the NBA, 66. What the Jazz are doing to people is crazy. It is historic in fact.
- For 16 games, some before the all-star break and the Kanter trade the Jazz are winning games by an average of 8.7 pts per game but the defense is the historic part. The Jazz are holding opponents to 39% shooting, 31% from three and 84 points per game. This is only for 16 games. But 16 games is 20% of an NBA season. 20% is beginning to be a very real sample size. The Jazz defensive rating over the last 16 games is 91.6.
- The 1989-99 Spurs team with Robinson and Duncan is thought of as the best defensive team of all time with a defensive efficiency of 92.1. They surpassed that in 03-04 with a 91.6. The Jazz are playing Duncan/Robinson defense and have been for 16 games.
- It’s only 13 games but since the all-star game the Jazz defensive rating is 89.7.
- Over the past 37 years only 3 teams have won a championship with a defense ranking outside the top 10 in defensive efficiency and the Jazz are going to be a top 10 defensive team for the foreseeable future. I am not telling you a championship is arriving next year, but the foundation of a championship team has to be build with a top 10 defense and that part of the project is over.
- Stretch it further out. The Jazz are 24-17 in their last 41 games. That is half a season. In that time the Jazz offense is 15th and the Jazz defense is 3rd and 5th overall in efficiency.
- The coolest thing going on right now is Dante Exum and Rodney Hood playing as well as they are right now. Hood has a new career high in 3 of his last 4 games. Over the last 5 games Dante is averaging over 10 points a game and has hit on 13 of his last 25 from 3.
- The player development that is taking place in this organization is mind boggling.
- Today at shootaround one of the main focusses was better passes into players shooting pockets.
- Be happy Jazz fans. Season tickets are flying out of the building. You want to be a part of this. Find a way to get as close to this as you can because what is taking place here is truly remarkable.
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA insider David Locke gives you the NBA 5 and then looks into the Utah Jazz.
- Close game, late game wins are important for this team. Jazz came into to tonight’s game at 10-16 in games decided by 6 or less. They are the 2nd lowest FG% and 2ndlowest 3pt% team in the final 5 minutes of a game within 5 points. To have success in those circumstances are important for the Jazz.
- Playing Exum, Hood, Hayward, Favors and Gobert for most of the final 5 minutes the Jazz had 7 point lead until Jackson hit a prayer of a 3 point ball. Then the Jazz committed back to back turnovers and the game was down to 2 with 3:48 left. Hayward hit a shot, Favors missed and the game was 2 points with 2:36 left. Favors split two free throws and then the Jazz got clutch. Rodney Hood it a 10 foot pull up on the left side, Hayward missed a 9 foot drive but came back with a dunk off a Gobert pass on a backdoor cut and then Trey entered for the key offensive possession and in a 1 point game hit a runner on the left side of the floor to put the Jazz up 3.
- Jazz shot 4 of 6 in the final 5 minutes and scored on 5 of 9 possessions. Huge growth.
- Derrick Favors has been an unreal beast in the 4th quarters since the all-star break. Tonight he scored 11 points in the 4th. Second most of his NBA Career. He is posting up with authority. He is posting up quicker in a possession. He has a control of where is shot is going to come from. He has added a legitimate enough mid range jumper that it has to be respected. He was 3 of 5 in the 4th quarter tonight and is now 25 of 39 in the 4th quarter since the all-star break.
- Dante Exum played 32 minutes tonight and has now played 128 minutes in the last 4 games. He finished with 8 points, 2 rebounds and 5 assists. He hit 2 three’s, had a huge floater in the lane and made the play of the night sprinting the length of the floor for a ball in back court catching it and finding Rodney Hood for the lay-up. His speed was incredible on the play.
- Rudy Gobert hit Gordon Hayward on a back cut dunk with :37 seconds left on a busted play that put the Jazz up 3 that was awesome. Gobert got the ball on the left sideline with 8 on the shot clock and looked to be in trouble and Hayward back cutted to the basket and got a gorgeous pass from Rudy and finished with a dunk.
- Ho Humm Rudy did it again. 10 points, 19 rebounds, 1 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks. This is absurd but he is doing it every night.
- The Pistons shot 16 of 40 in the paint. The Pistons take 53% of their shots in the paint and tonight the paint was closed.
- This game was played in sludge. The game had 10 fast break points. Their were very few fast break opportunities. This game had about 88 possessions tonight. Super slow.
- Jazz committed 17 turnovers tonight which is a ton when you realize how few possessions there were. The Pistons were physical and got into the Jazz bodies and disrupted what they wanted to do. They played the exact same way Boston and LA did on the pick and roll and it caused the Jazz some real issues.
- Rodney Hood 12 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals in 33 minutes.
- This team is still learning how to win. These wins are a big deal. The streak and the momentum this team is on is terrific. There are still lots of tweaks and steps that need to take place for this team to keep growing and the Pistons exposed a lot of them but the end result was huge growth winning a close game