The Spurs are a pick and roll and spot up team. For the season 23% of the Spurs offense is pick and roll and 23% is sput up. They were at their numbers on Sunday. 23% of the offense was spot ups and they hit 11 of 23 shots with 6 of 15 being three’s scoring an incredible 1.25 pts per possessions on spot ups.
Here are the 22total spots up – some of the items defined by Synergy don’t seem to be spot ups so I left those out.
1) MISS – Parker penetrates off early offense to Green in left corner Hayward flys at him but had to sag in on Parker penetration. Green misses shot.
2) MISS – Jazz defend a Manu pick and roll well, Spurs swing and Parker misses a dribble in 14 footer – not truly a spot up
3) MAKE – Duncan right block throw out to angle left to Stephen Jackson for 22 footer. Very slow close by DeMarre Carroll.
4) MISS – Parker off early pick and roll with Duncan works left to right into lane, cut off by Carroll flairs out to Jackson who misses three
5) MAKE – Neal comes off early pick with Splitter, Bonner flairs to left corner, Favors gets caught inside off a pick. Long pass Jazz aren’t used to. Favors has to be following out better.
6) DUNK – Manu pumps fakes Carroll out of the gym and then has a clear lane to drive to the basket – Kanter never leaves his man and never contests. Favors is out on Bonner in the left corner after getting beat by three a few plays earlier.
7) MAKE – Parker penetrates into the lane gets under the hoop and throws to left corner for Jackson three. Good. Carroll came into the lane to almost the right side of the basket to stop Parker leaving Jackson wide open
8.) MISS – 2 for 1 to close the half Parker penetrates with ease by Harris, ball rotation to Ginobili who misses a three.
9) MISS – Parker at end of half kicks out to Bonner – Hayward runs at him and effects the shot.
10) MAKE – I would call this more of a isolation drive, Diaw into the lane with very little difficulty against Millsap and gets a sweeping hook.
11) MISS – Duncan open top of the key jumper missed
12) MISS – Leonard angle right three missed. Parker off the pick and roll, Howard steps down to cut him off and leaves Leonard wide open. Missed
13) MISS – Parker probing gets into the lane kicks out to Green angle right – best close out thus far by Hayward Green misses
14) MISS – Parker runs pick and roll on the left and gets baseline, back defense by Jazz big off search dribble throws to wide open Leonard who misses an easy three. This was against the big lineup
15) FOUL – Parker catches at the top off Manu penetration – Parker is fouled by a flat footed Harris
16) MAKE – Penetration and ball movement leaves Neal open on the left for a good look three.
17) MAKE – Jackson three with Carroll all over him, for the open misses this is a tough make. Parker assist off the pick and roll well defended by Tinsley
18) MAKE – Parker high pick and roll as 3rd quarter comes to close and Parker starts to penetrate and Favors takes a single step off Bonner and Parker hits Bonner for three. Millsap had done his job Favors didn’t need to sag in.
19) MISS – perfect defense and perfect ball movement – Jackson left corner misses the look. Kanter played the pick and roll high well and got back well but the Spurs move the ball so fast Jackson still got a really good look
20) MISS – Jazz run Bonner off the line and he misses runner in the lane
21) MAKE – Ginobili left wing pick and roll guarded well finds Duncan who immediately reverses ball to Jackson who swings to Bonner leaving Al Jefferson as the rotation out and no way
22) MAKE – Jazz defend this well and Hayward runs Leonard off the corner but he pulls up into a jumper.
My conclusion on this is the penetration from Parker was too easy as it was for Ginobili. The Jazz did rotate. The effort could be a little more intense but it was good and the Spurs move the ball faster than a guy can move that is the essence of who they are. Not sure the Jazz are trusting each other very well. Namely guys are all sagging in on Parker not believing the big is going to be able to get the job done in preventing Parker’s penetration. They may be right.
The Spurs run a ton off early offense pick and roll usually right to left and it is super effective.