Looking at the Spurs Pick and Roll plays, these are only those plays that end with the ball handler or the roll man on the pick and roll. This does not count any time Parker penetrated and dished off to someone other than the ball handler. Those are in a lot of the spot up plays.
Overall observations before you look at it play for play.
• Tim Duncan sets the best picks and from all different angels. On PARKER/DUNCAN pick and rolls the Spurs were 4 of 6 from the field.
• Manu Ginobili wants his picks high and Tony Parker gets his early in the offense and very low
• When Al Jefferson was the defending big and ball hander shot (usually Parker) he was 5 of 7. They were 0 for 3 with 2 fouls when the ball went to the big.
• Jefferson and Millsap seems to zone the paint playing back near the rim with very little aggressiveness. Favors went to the ball handler and shadowed the ball handler and Kanter was the most aggressive going out to the ball handler and altering the route. I have no idea which was correct but it is very telling that all 4 Jazz bigs defended the play differently.
• On all of these when Favors is the big the Spurs scored on 1 of 4 times.
• The Spurs are really really good.
The first 18 will be where the ball handler ended with the ball. The next 8 will be the roll man
1) MAKE JUMPER- PARKER/DUNCAN — Right to left into middle of the lane. Off Duncan pick, Jefferson is way off Duncan has no impact on the play and Harris is picked off trailing and Parker hits easy floater in the lane. Harris tried to go over pick.
2) MISS JUMPER – PARKER/DIAW/DUNCAN – left to right double pick – jump shot from the right elbow missed. Harris gets buried by Diaw. Both Millsap and Jefferson slide down to cover area. Parker opts for 15 footer with lots of space and misses.
3) MAKE JUMPER – NEAL/SPLITTER — Neal comes off corner for a 16 footer and hits. Tinsley does little to get through the pick and Jefferson shades back having no impact on the play.
4) TURNOVER – MANU/SPLITTER – Nearly at midcourt and Manu splits the pick and roll and Hayward reaches from behind for the steal.
5) MAKE LAYUP – PARKER/SPLITTER – Parker Left to Right in early offense. Kanter is the defender of Splitter. Kanter steps out on Parker Tinsley able to get back and cut off Parker and Parker retreats to run it again with Splitter. This time to the baseline. Kanter slows his progress, Burks rotates perfectly and Parker hits a circus up and under reverse layup.
6) MISS JUMPER – PARKER/DUNCAN – Parker from top to right – Has picks waiting at each elbow goes off Duncan off a right hand dribble. Favors steps out and shadows Parker and forces him into a miss on floater
7) MISS JUMPER – DIAW/DUNCAN – Jefferson switches with Millsap staying on Duncan and Diaw misses a runner.
8) MAKE LAYUP – PARKER/ DUNCAN – early offense. This is the ultimate how they talk about the different angles Duncan sets the pick. Parker takes a hard step right and cross back over left and Duncan is right behind Tinsley. Jefferson had guessed on the first move and is way out of position. Parker finishes off contact from Millsap
9) FOUL – PARKER/DIAW – Early offense again, Parker gets pick from Diaw going left to right much higher than Duncan sets it. Millsap shadows the pick and Tinsley fouls on a pass off.
10) MISS JUMPER – PARKER/DUNCAN – From the top goes to his right off Duncan. Jefferson plays it soft in the middle of the lane and Harris swipes at the shot and blocks it.
11) MISS JUMPER – PARKER/DIAW – Parker left side comes to the right and then reverse off the pick. Millsap is the big on the play and is out of the play by the time Parker drives, nice help from the weak side by Jefferson forces the miss.
12) MAKE LAYUP – PARKER/DUNCAN – Parker left side again goes away from pick. Jefferson is no where near the play and Harris is burned by trying to force him away from pick . Easy layup to the window – terrible defense from all involved.
13) MISS LAYUP – GINOBILI/BLAIR – Hayward and Favors are the defenders. Ginobili gets by Hayward, Favors shadows terrifically and forces Manu into a fade away shot that is blocked.
14) TURNOVER – GINOBILI/BLAIR – Same spot as play before – same defenders, Hayward and Favors, this time Manu goes to the middle, Hayward gets over pick well and gets another steal of Manu
15) MAKE LAYUP – PARKER/BLAIR – Kanter is the big defending with Tinsley – pick is very high above three point line. Parker get to the basket and a foul.
16) MISS LAYUP – PARKER/BLAIR – Early offense pick set in the paint. WOW. Kanter steps out on Parker and blocks the shot – Popovich gets a tech off this play.
17) FOUL – GINOBILLI/DIAW – Hayward and Favors again. This is from the logo, Favors stays with Manu well but gets called for foul at the end
18) MAKE JUMPER – PARKER/DUNCAN – Left to right from the top of the three point line. Jefferson stays back and zones the lane – Parker hits a 8 foot jumper
8 WHERE THE PICKER GOT THE BALL (The final two were with Ahearn in the game)
1) MISS LAYUP – PARKER/DUNCAN – Early offense Parker right to left, pick set in the lane, Parker gets to rim hands to Duncan who gets it ripped by Millsap on the catch. Well played by Millsap. Jefferson was the other big.
2) MISS LAYUP – MANU/SPLITTER – Manu from the top defenders are Hayward and Jefferson. Jefferson shows Manu finds a wide open Splitter as Jefferson couldn’t get back in time and Splitter misses a wide open layuo
3) FOUL – LEONARD/SPLITTER – Great defense by Tinsley denies Parker the ball with 7 on shot clock this is all that is left. Kanter is the big and he and shows and the pass gets down to Splitter, Favors late coming over fouls Splitter on the ball fake
4) FOUL – PARKER/DUNCAN – Early offense left to right. Jefferson the defending big. Jefferson commits out to Parker and Parker finds Duncan going to the window. Millsap slides over and fouls Duncan. They are good.
5) MISS JUMPER – PARKER/DUNCAN – Parker goes left to right. Jefferson zones the lane and then goes to Parker leaving Duncan open for 15 footer that he misses.
6) MAKE LAYUP – GINOBILI/BLAIR – Blair slips the pick before it si set and Favors is too high, easy layup for Blair—these guys are good.
7) MISS LAYUP – PARKER/BLAIR – Kanter is the big defending. He goes out and attacks Parker who is going left to right from the top. Favors with great help forces the miss
8) FOUL – PARKER/BLAIR – Tinsley and Jefferson the defenders. Parker comes off pick at the free throw line, Jefferson zones the middle and bounce pass to Blair and he is fouled at the rim.