Emptying the Noggin
• Not a lot to say tonight. The Jazz got hit with the NBA Finals back to back and you have to be really pleased they got one out of the mix. Moreover, this could have been really ugly and the Jazz made it a game and stayed in the game. That is really important to avoid being blown out of games.
• Road basketball is a problem for the Jazz but they have lost 17 of the last 21 in Dallas and 6 in a row in Dallas so it is hard to say that tonight was some aberration or terrible performance.
• In the last two nights we have seen what it takes to get to the NBA Finals and it is a super human player like LeBron and Dirk. You have to have really special players to win with regularity in the NBA. We should know this we won with John and Karl and with Deron. They were all the elite of the elite and that is how you win.
• As long as Al Jefferson has this large a roll on the offense and on the team he has to play better on the road if this team has any chance to win. He is now shooting 43.8% on the road. He uses too many possessions for the Jazz to be able to win if he shots like that and moreover he doesn’t bring enough defensively to overcome that.
• Jefferson was brilliant in the win at Memphis but in the last 6 road losses he is shooting 41% and is 11 of 12 from the line and the Jazz are -46 when he is on the floor in those 6 games.
• Favors is on the verge of becoming the best big man on this team and it is going to happen sooner rather than later. He is by far the best defensive player. He needs to become a better defensive rebounder. He needs to learn to finish and get a better touch around the basket. Without those things he still scored 14 points and 5 rebounds in just 18 minutes.
• Paul Millsap changed his offensive game tonight and played more straight up rather than in the post with his back to the basket and was much more effective. He spaced the floor and hit the jumper off others activities. He got garbage points. He did a lot of things very well.
• Alec Burks is a fearless kid and he is leaving Tyrone no choice but to play him. He had 4 turnover tonight in the second quarter but he will learn how to deal with those plays and in a year or two those will become positive plays rather than negative plays.
• The offense got very stagnant in the 2nd quarter with Watson, Burks, Miles , Favors and Kanter on the floor but their defense was great. They held the Mavericks to 7 of 21.
• Lot of question to why CJ is getting Gordon’s minutes. I am not sure I have an answer, so I probably have the same question. But my best guess is that with the line-up on the floor with Kanter and Favors Tyrone needs some scoring and he sees CJ Miles as a scorer.
• Over the last 4 games CJ Miles is scoring – he is averaging 17 pts a game. He is shooting 43% but has hit 7 of 17 from three and is 14 of 15 from the free throw line. However, in the last 6 road games he is shooting 28% on 13 of 46 shooting.
• Dirk is great.
* I really like Dallas as a playoff team if they get healthy and have Lamar Odom.
Emptying the Noggin