In October Utah Jazz radio voice David Locke sat down with your favorite Jazz players. These interviews were intended for radio production. They are being released now for your chance to know your Jazz players better.
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN SPECIAL
Thoughts as I watch the final 5 minutes of the regulation and the overtime
• Incredible defense by Favors sliding out on Paul George and forcing him into a fade away 18 footer with 4:49 left. Derrick Favors stayed with Paul George
• Really hard to ask Elijah Milsap to be ready for this speed
• Trey Burke threw some incredible passes
• Offensive foul on Hayward was a good call.
• Huge shot by Gordon. Indiana by 6 with 3:29 left. Stuckey goes under pick and roll and Gordon in his sweet spot, angle right, rises and buries a 3. Huge shot #1
• Jazz double PG in post guarded by Gordon with 2:40 left. Good team defense. Dig out by Hood. Booker stunts at Stuckey who gets the pass out of the post from George. Hood closes out. Poor 3 point shooter in Stuckey has no where to go shoots three and misses. Indiana still leads it 104-101 with 2:26 left
• With 2:02 left in 4th Indiana runs a 1/3 pick and roll with George and Hill. Jazz switch it. Leaves Trey Burke on Paul George. He has no chance. Pacers score. But this is the last time Jazz will switch this. The Jazz will double for rest of game and the Pacers keeping trying to go back to it.
• Trevor Booker saves the game. Hayward misses on drive down 5 with 1:37 left and if Indiana gets the rebound game might be over. Instead Booker offensive rebound and bucket – Huge Shot #2
• Interesting Hayward guards Paul George but Rodney Stuckey took Hayward on the other end
• 1:26 left – next Pacers play they ran the same 3/1 pick and roll and Jazz trap PG and get it out of his hands. Stuckey hits a pull up J with :1 on shot clock. Pacers 108-103 with 1:18 left.
• 1:08 left – Hayward beats PG on left hand drive. Lavoy Allen has to come help. Favors does an awesome job of making himself available for the pass by hanging back and bit and gets a good pass from G and is fouled. Favors hits 1 FT – 108-104 with 1:05 left – Huge Shot #3
• Strange move by Vogel. He takes CJ Miles out and puts in another big. So Indiana plays the next possession with 2 bigs. Lavoy Allen misses 17 footer that would have been a CJ three.
• Mahiimi misses both free throws. Jazz ball 108-104 with :42
• Favors misses tough look and missed a wide open Gordon Hayward in the corner. WIDE OPEN. But foul on Mihimini on rebound and Jazz get another shot. Booker lured him into the foul. Bad call. Booker earned this one by fighting but bad call by officials.
• Booker makes one with :31.1 seconds left to make it 108-105 but Jazz rebound the miss. Favors knocks it out of Hills hand, Booker knocks it away from Mahimi, and Hayward gets it. Bullets a pass to Booker who is fouled and goes back to the line.
• Booker makes it 108-107 with both free throws and :27 left
• Jazz trap in bound. Create havoc. Ball gets to Paul George up 1 with 22 seconds left and he inexplicably shoots up 1. Looked like Jazz were trying to foul.
• Paul George makes two free throws Jazz down 3 with 16.4 seconds left.
• No timeout by Jazz – AB goes straight line brings three defenders to him and makes a great pass to Favors for the bucket and now a free throw to tie. Incredible pass and super tough shot by Favors. He was going full steam about to go past the glass. Alec was close to horizontal wrapping the pass around the Pacers bigs – Huge SHOT #4
• Super D by Favors forces George to miss a pull up jumper. Great help
• Pacers run the 3/1 pick and roll. Jazz trap again taking ball out of PG hand and Favors makes an incredible play to deflect ball and then save it to Hayward. 3:26 left. Pacers by 1
• Super play by Paul George on an unselfish pass to Allen to put Pacers up 3 with 2:57 left
• Maybe the play of the game. 7 seconds on shot clock Pacers up 1 with 2:40 left and out of a time out the Pacers try to run the Elevator Door play and PG gets tripped going through the elevator door and Hayward gets ball and dunks on other end. Jazz lead it
• 2:00 minutes left Pacers back up 1. Hayward throws really bad pass and it gets deflected into the backcourt and PG fouls Hayward with :03 on shot clock when he is stuck in the backcourt. Jazz get fresh clock and take advantage on a Favors dunk. Nice pass from Trey Burke
• Hayward misses on a runner. Booker grabs another rebound but gets it stripped and the Pacers turn it into a fast break Jazz down 1 with 1:03 left. – Huge Shot #5
• Pacers go back to 3/1 pick and roll and the Jazz trap it and force a turnover. So Pacers go the switch once. Then Jazz trap it three straight time and Pacers don’t get anything out of it.
• Up 1 with 18.6 seconds left. Favors slips the pick for the first time in the final 10 minutes rather than setting the pick and Trey Burke finds him. Favors finishes it over traffic.
• Jazz pick and rolled everything from the top in the overtime
• Solid defense from Jazz forcing CJ into a missed 3. Nice close on CJ from both Elijah who was guarding Hill and Alec.
• Pacers get a 2nd chance. They inbound to Stuckey inside the 3 point line. For some reason, not sure what Elijah Millsap goes to Stuckey and doubles him inside the arch. They pass back to Hill who gets a good look, though Elijah scrambles back quickly,. Lucky break.
• Heck of a game great fun
Re-live all the excitement of the Jazz win over the Pacers including the entire overtime. Austin Facer presents.
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
• Holy smokes what a game. What a week. Incredible basketball played at Vivint Smart Home Arena all week. Tonight the stars were out of this world and this game had plays and plays and plays worth talking about. Gotta be honest my head is still spinning, I am not actually sure everything that happened to get the Jazz a win.
• Without Rudy the Jazz margin to win is small. So everyone has to play at a really high level and that is what happened tonight. The Pacers had won 12 of 15, have the 4th best differential in the NBA and the 5th best efficiency differential. This is a really good team and they have one heck of a star in Paul George. Paul George was other worldly. So to win everyone had to be big.
• The Jazz stars had to be the biggest and Derrick Favors had his career night. He had 35 points, he had 12 in the 4th quarter and overtime. He buried 4 of 5 free throws in that span. He was mammoth around the rim, finishing in traffic. He did it all. He had an amazing dribble drive. He caught passes in traffic, he finsihedf in crowds.
• Trevor Booker playing with the flu and feeling it in a bad way found a way to get 7 rebounds and 7 points in the 4th and overtime.
• The Jazz had a hard time defending in the 2nd and 3rd quarters allowing 65 points but found a way in the final 17 to only allow 35.
• The Jazz executed the game plan terrifically tonight. The Pacers are the #1 catch and shoot team in the NBA and the Jazz made them play with the ball off the deck. In the first half the Pacers were 2 for 11 on catch and shoot. They started to hit them in the2nd half but they took fewer than they usually do. Paul George hit some shots that weren’t fair. CJ Miles couldn’t get the catch and shoot game going, George Hill was forced to play off the bounce.
• Jeff Withey throws really good outlet passes.
• Rual Neto had a great third quarter. He had a career high 13 point and scored 8 straight at one point in the third.
• Quin used every guy he had available tonight
• The amount of plays Derrick Favors made tonight that swung the tenor of the game is unreal. Free throws, big baskets all that had to be made.
• Don’t want to ignore Gordon – 22 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and I know this is crazy when the dude drops 48 but I think if we go back and watch his defense on PG was solid, PG was just unreal.
• Jazz defense was sharp tonight and Indiana still dropped 119 and hit on 12 of 29 from 3. Largely, due to Paul George 8 for 11. Indiana is going to win a lot of game.
• Trey Lyles looked like he belonged tonight. If you were watching you would not have known he was a rookie.
• Really strong night for Trey Burke – 19 points and 7 assists.
• I’m going to do a special Noggin on all the big plays. Just a super win for the Jazz.
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke talks about Portland’s success compared to Utah and more
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives you the daily Tip Off
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA insider David Locke shows what correlates to winning and then talks Deng, Clips, Hawks and Raps
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives you the morning podcast
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke answers your questions and then the playoff weekend that was
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke goes on a little rant
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke looks at the daily topics each morning on TIP OFF
Utah Jazz radio voice David Locke gives you the daily podcast TIP OFF
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives you his daily podcast
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke talks about the playoff match-ups and the reaason for optimism with the Jazz