1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. sucanat or natural sugar
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup whole grain cereal (like brown rice krispies)
1 cup dried fruit, chopped
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. ground flax seed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the ground flax seed with 1/4 cup warm water, set aside to thicken.
- Toss the chickpeas in the sucanat or sugar and 1 tsp. of the cinnamon. Bake for 10 minutes, stir around in the pan, then back for 10 more minutes. Add the oatmeal to the pan and bake for 5 more minutes, stirring the oatmeal once.
- Stir together the peanut butter, honey, canola oil, and flax paste.
- Combine the chickpeas, oatmeal, cereal, dried fruits, and remaining tsp. of cinnamon.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into a greased pan. Go for an 8×8 if you have it. Really PRESS and PACK IN the mixture as hard as you can. Refrigerate until firm, then cut into bars.
NOTE: Use any kind of beans, cereal, or dried fruit that you’d like.
Written by Christine Frazier via No Meat Athlete